AmeriCorps VIP Program
AmeriCorps, known as the domestic Peace Corp, provides a wide array of services to communities across the United States. The AmeriCorps Volunteer Infrastructure Project is a unique program found in California, and is designed to serve, strengthen, and support communities facing significant challenges and unmet community needs. The VIP program partners AmeriCorps members, known as fellows, with local non-profits and agencies called partner sites. AmeriCorps fellows serve to enhance the organization's ability to tackle specific issues ranging from food insecurity to access to affordable healthcare. Through service within these organizations, AmeriCorps fellows harness their desire to serve and make direct impacts to communities in need.
The service of AmeriCorps VIP fellows, within local organizations, centers on volunteer programs and community engagement. VIP fellows support the mission and goals of their respective organizations through projects like volunteer recruitment, training, outreach, capacity-building, fundraising, and much more. AmeriCorps is not a job, it is a year-long service experience with a variety of personal and professional benefits. AmeriCorps VIP receive a monthly living allowance, an end-of-term education award, health benefits, and professional development opportunities. The program lasts for 11 months and requires completion of 1700 hours of service.
Current and past partner sites include, but are not limited to:
- SLO Noor Clinic Foundation
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Environmental Center of San Luis Obispo (ECOSLO)
- Cal Poly Food Pantry
- City Farm SLO
- People’s Self-Help Housing
- Downtown SLO
- Community Action Partnership of San Luis Obispo County (CAPSLO)
- Restorative Partners
- Cal Poly Sustainability
Interested in becoming a member?
All positions are full-time, with most members serving 40-hour work weeks (1700 hours per term of service). Service terms run 11 months, from mid-August through June. The positions focus on both building the capacity of the agency by building and strengthening their volunteer programs and fundraising on behalf of the agency. All positions pay a living allowance throughout the term of service and an educational award upon completion. Members also receive health insurance, have access to subsidized child care, and are eligible for student loan deferments. Please see recruitment to find out more information about how to apply.
AmeriCorps is not a job; it is a paid service experience. AmeriCorps members are not employees of the agency but are AmeriCorps members serving at a host/partner site.
Pay & Benefits
- Members receive a living allowance, paid twice monthly in equal installments throughout the term of service*
- Health Insurance at no-cost to you
- Upon successful completion of AmeriCorps service, members become eligible for an education award that can be used to pay for college and some work training programs or to repay outstanding student loans.
- Segal Education Award of $6,345*
- California For All Education Award of $3,655* (pending annual CA state budget approval)
- Student loan deferment & interest repayment
- Eligible for CalFresh benefits – around $160/month
- Members who begin service in 2010 or later, who are age 55 or older at the time they commence service, may, upon successful completion of a term of service, transfer the education award to a child, grandchild, or foster child.
*The living stipend and education awards are subject to taxes
Please see recruitment to find out more information about applying to be an AmeriCorps-VIP member.
Join our upcoming Infosessions to meet our team and learn more!
May 19th | 1pm-2pm
May 26th | 11am-12pm
May 30th | 11am-12pm
Zoom Link: https://calpoly.zoom.us/j/9897523289
Interested in becoming a partner agency?
Non-profit, public service agencies, and public schools located in San Luis Obispo and Northern Santa Barbara Counties are welcome to apply to host an AmeriCorps member. Agencies will be selected based on current need and compatibility of the position they are hoping to create. All host agencies are required to pay a cash match for full-time positions. All other costs are covered by the AmeriCorps program. Please see recruitment to find out more information about applying to host an AmeriCorps Member at your agency.
Center for Service in Action
Building 113, Room L119
Phone Number: (805) 756-6469